Pain in the big toe joint or 1st metatarsophalangeal (MTP) joint is one of the most common complaints seen at SOLE THERAPY and something successfully treated regularly.
Why the big toe is joint important
The big toe joint is one of the most important joints in the foot. It is responsible for providing leverage to the foot when we push off the ground during walking and running. It also assists in maintaining balance while standing and is an attachment site for muscles in the foot. The big toe joint also has 2 sesamoid bones beneath it- pea-shaped bones that help with shock absorption and propulsion.
How the pain occurs
There are many reasons why pain occurs- wear and tear, injury or surgery. Flexibility and range of motion are reduced at the joint. The structure of your feet and how they function is the most common cause of big toe pain. Overpronating or too much ‘rolling in’ can place excessive pressure on the big toe joint causing the joint to jam into itself. When this happens for an extended period of time the cartilage wears down exposing the bone- leading to arthritis and bony prominence growing. Any movement that requires more than the available movement will cause pain.
What big toe pain feels like
Pain can be sharp, shooting pain or a dull ache made worse with activity i.e. when the pain is bent. Pain can also occur at night in bed. Gradual onset of the pain shows that there is inflammation at the joint; ongoing or worsening pain can indicate arthritis in the joint.
Sole Therapy treatment options
Your journey at SOLE THERAPY will start with an in-depth biomechanical assessment. Not only will the cause and extent of your big toe pain be identified but the body will be examined as a whole. Your movement patterns are analysed to identify abnormalities to decrease your risk of other lower limb injuries, poor posture dysfunction and pain.
From here our expert Podiatrists will work with you to get rid of the pain and improve your body’s function.
Treatment options include:
- Temporary Padding and Strapping to stabilize the big toe in the short term
- SOLE THERAPY Customised Functional Orthotics that will decrease loading at the big toe and address poor mechanics for long-term pain relief
- Foot Mobilisation Therapy of the big toe and surrounding joints to restore range of motion
- Dry Needling to fast track the release of muscles causing increased pressure at the big toe
- Footwear Advice and Fitting– We have a variety of supportive and wide footwear available in the clinic which can be expertly fitted by our Podiatrists
- Education on at home Trigger Point Therapy- spiky ball and anti-inflammatory cream
- Education on at home Stretching Exercises to release tight surrounding structures
Our goal is to get you out of pain fast, address any underlying movement issues and prevent further pain or injury.
Call Sole Therapy on 02 9583 1138 for an appointment today!!