Do you suffer from any of the following in your lower limbs? Then you might have sciatica!
- Sharp, shooting pain
- Numbness or pins and needles
- Weakness when moving the leg or foot
- Electric shock sensation in back or legs
- Burning sensations
- Pain and/or numbness to the foot
Sciatica is the term we use to any symptoms that run down the path of the Sciatic nerve. Pain in the sciatic nerve can be anything from a mild ache to high levels that make simple tasks such as walking, bending, standing or sitting difficult.
The sciatic nerve is the largest in the body- it runs from the base of spine, through the buttocks, along in the back of the thigh and into the knee. Here is splits into different branches given sensation and muscle strength to the lower leg and foot.
The pain is usually caused from compression of the sciatic nerve root where it leaves the spine. Injury to the nerve can also cause the pain.
At SOLE THERAPY we will look at the cause of your pain:
- Sitting awkwardly can cause sciatica
- Piriformis syndrome- Tightness of the piriformis muscles in the buttock
- Misaligned spine
- Vertebral dysfunction
- Herniated disc
- Poor posture – wearing high heels, prolonged sitting, poor mattress
- Poor lifting technique
- Poor bending habits
- Spinal compression due to osteoporosis
Once we have assessed your posture, the best treatment will be provided including:
- Customized functional orthotics to address spinal misalignment and poor posture
- At home stretching to release tight musculature around the sciatic nerve
- Dry needling, massage and acupuncture combination to further release tight muscles, reduce pain and reduce inflammation
If you are experiencing Sciatica don’t wait. The pain can be quite debilitating! Book with SOLE THERAPY.
Words from one of our Podiatrist's,
DR VICTORIA KOKOTATSIOS