The knee is a large and very complex joint in the body. It is vital for movement. There are three bones that make up your knee- the thigh (femur), the shin bone (tibia) and the knee cap (patella). These bones are connected by ligaments.
The purpose of ligaments is to limit joint mobility, and can even prevent certain movements all together. There are four main ligaments in the knee:
An injury to a knee ligament occurs through a sharp change in direction, landing incorrectly from a jump, or a blunt force hit to the knee. The injury usually occurs at speed. Having weak muscles or poor balance predisposes you to a ligament sprain or tear.
Signs you may have damaged a ligament include:
- Pain, that occurs suddenly and severely
- A loud pop or snap
- Swelling within the first 24 hours after the injury
- A feeling of looseness in the joint
- Unable to weight bare
How can SOLE THERAPY help?
We are not only experts in feet but also knees! SOLE THERAPY can assist with:
- Reducing initial soft tissue swelling with dry needling
- Prevent excessive knee movement with access to knee bracing and education on how to tape the knee
- Diagnose and address any movement issues contributing to poor knee function
- Stabilize and optimize knee movement with SOLE THERAPY customized functional orthotics
Come and visit us at SOLE THERAPY so we can help you with treating and preventing knee ligament injuries! Call the clinic or book online.
"Love your body from the sole up"