The meniscus is the most commonly injured cartilage in the knee- that’s right meniscus is cartilage! The meniscus sits between the cartilage surfaces of the bone to distribute weight and to stabilize the knee joint. This is very important as the knee is used in most everyday movements.
Damage to the meniscus can occur due to injury, degenerative arthritis, overexertion or chronic overuse. When cartilage is injured, often it is described as a tear of the cartilage and typically in reference to meniscus cartilage.
A torn meniscus will feel sharp pain in the affected knee. The joint may become swollen or lock up on movement. Some other things you may notice are:
- Joint pain
- Inability to straighten joint
- Tenderness when pressing on the meniscus
- Popping of joint
- Clicking of joint
- Reduced range of motion
SOLE THERAPY will help with the initial pain of a meniscus tear with treatments such as:
- Dry needling and acupuncture to reduce joint inflammation and swelling
- Knee taping to stabilize the joint whilst it heals
- At home advice on pain reduction
Our podiatry experts will also attend to the cause of your meniscus tear, as most are preventable or can be managed conservatively.
- SOLE THERAPY functional customized orthotics assist with stabilizing the knees from the ground up
- Personalized stretching and strengthening program to work on tight or weak muscles
- Footwear advice, options and fittings to ensure you are comfortable and well supported
If you are having trouble with a knee meniscus or cartilage problem please come and visit us. Call SOLE THERAPY 02 9583 1138 or book an INITIAL BIOMECHANICAL ASSESSMENT online.
"Love your body from the sole up"