Degenerative or bulging discs are one of the most common causes of lower back pain. It is caused by the wear and tear on the spinal discs. The pain is most often chronically at a low level with periods of severe pain.
Discs sit in-between our spinal bones- vertebra. Their role is to allow bending, twisting and flexion of the spine. They are our shock absorbers. As we age these discs lose their integrity however activities with heavy flexion or bending components can also cause wear and tear. In some cases the discs collapse completely, causing the vertebrae to rub against one another.
If you have a bulging or degenerative disc you may experience:
- Pain and weakness in the back
- Pain radiates to other areas- buttocks and upper thighs
- Nerve pain in feet
- Muscle spasms
- Pain is worse when sitting, bending, lifting, or twisting
- Walking, lying down, and changing position may help relieve pain
Spinal discs have when little blood supply- so once it is injured the disc cannot repair itself. At SOLE THERAPY we can help manage pain:
- Our functional customized orthotics will support your back and provide shock absorption
- Footwear advice and fitting
- Advised on core and lower back exercises to stabilize and strengthen the muscles around the injured disc
Come and visit SOLE THERAPY today.
"Love your body from the sole up"