Hallux abductor valgus (HAV) or ‘bunions’ are formed due to the big toe turning towards the lesser digits. This can happen at as young as pre-teen or later in life.
Why do bunions occur?
There are 5 main reasons as to why bunions occur and they include,
- Narrow/pointed shoes
- Genetics (particularly females)
- Flat feet
How can SOLE THERAPY help my bunion?
Conservative treatment of bunions is gauged on prevention of surgery and pain reduction, which involves the following:
- Orthotics to take load off and stabilize the 1st
- Toe wedges/splints to prevent further deviation
- Joint mobilisation to encourage range of motion/functionality
- Dry needling to ease any muscle tension around the joint
- Avoid high heels or ill-fitting shoes
If you are experiencing Bunion Pain do not wait. The pain can be quite debilitating! Book with SOLE THERAPY 9583-1138!
Words from one of our Podiatrist's,
DR DANIEL TALEVSKI