Am I a falls risk?
Falls are the leading cause of unintentional injury for older Australians. One in four people over the age of 60 have a fall each year, with most common injuries being fractures to the hip and thigh; followed by injuries to the head. Falls cause more injury-related deaths in Australian than transport crash fatalities and falling once doubles your chance of falling again.
Signs that you are at an increased risk of falls include:
- Fear of fall
- Limited mobility
- Difficulties in undertaking daily activities
- Impaired walking
- Impaired balance
- Poor fitting footwear
- Visual impairment
- Reduce muscle strength
- Poor reaction
- Being on many medications
- Home hazards: uneven flooring, throw rugs etc.
But not to worry- Here at Sole Therapy, we are committed to keeping our older patients active and moving safely!
During a 1 hour initial consultation, our podiatry experts will assess your posture, flexibility and walking patterns. From these results, a personalised treatment will be designed to help you achieve your goals! Treatment plans may include:
- Sole Therapy customised orthotics that assist with pain, foot and core strength
- Stretching exercises to help release tight muscles
- Strengthening and balance exercises to help get you stronger and more confident barefoot
- Advice on footwear fitting and styles to keep your feet stable and avoid falls
- Foot mobilisation therapy and dry needling to fast track any pain points in the lower limb and increase joint mobility